9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Explore the role of dentistry in the assessment and management of sleep related breathing disorders and how dental sleep medicine can be introduced into your practice.
This event is a joint meeting between the British Society of Dental Sleep Medicine (BSDSM) and the British Dental Association (BDA).
Habitual snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA) are both serious conditions which have a significant impact on health. The effect on personal relationships is underestimated. OSA cannot be cured but there are several modalities for its management. The dental team are in a fantastic position to offer a key role in screening, assessing and possibly treating these patients.
It is estimated that about 1.5 million people in Britain have OSA* of which 45% are thought to have moderate to severe disease. * Figures from British Lung Foundation (www.blf.org.uk) OSA UK health
- Understand sleep disorders, their prevalence and their impact on systemic health and well-being
- Understand the extra-oral and intra-oral signs and symptoms suggestive of a sleep related breathing disorder
- Gain an introduction to sleep bruxism, craniofacial pain in relation to sleep related breathing disorders
- Appreciate dentistry’s role in the management of sleep related breathing disorders as part of a multidisciplinary medical and dental team
- Know how to identify, screen and manage patients at risk, following a recognised screening protocol.
President, British Society of Dental Sleep Medicine
Practice Limited to Dental Sleep Medicine and Craniofacial Pain, Atlanta, USA
Respiratory and Sleep Disorders, Papworth Hospital, Cambridge
Full biographies can be found at bda.org/training
Friday 10 March 2017
Course code for bookings: ET331
BDA members £150
09:30 – 16:30 (registration from 09:00)
For further information on the programme and to book your place on this course please contact: BDA Events, British Dental Association, 64 Wimpole Street, London W1G 8YS Tel: 020 7563 4590
Venue: British Dental Association
Venue Phone: 020 7935 0875